Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Oh So Sad


I'm oh so sad!
The above picture shows an intact shelf with my beautiful tea cups and saucers displayed on it. Not to mention the pictures and other trinkets.
Today after going on an enjoyable walk, with a good friend, on a brisk fall day, we came home to discover this beautiful display scattered all over my kitchen floor. Broken cups and saucers everywhere. My question, is this the work of one of my mischievous kitties, or was it that the hinges on the shelf or the nails in the wall, were just not sturdy enough? Although, the shelf held up for an entire month before crashing to the floor. Fortunately all of my pictures and trinkets made it through the fall in on piece, as well as one tea cup and matching saucer. Two saucers made it OK, but their counterparts did not.
It was the pride and joy of my kitchen. Maybe a little too much pride. I do realize there are more important things in life, but I will be sad for a little while. Oh well, life goes on...

4 comments:

Nonni said...

Oh, that is sad. Your saucers and tea cups are so very lovely. I'm so sorry.

Sometimes I look around my house very pleased with my "things" and my home. Every time I do, I think: "Suzanne, you're supposed to be detached. What if you lost everything in a fire tomorrow?" I'm afraid I'm not very detached at all because I know I'd be heartbroken.

Sometimes I wonder if that kind of detachment is a harder virtue for women to attain than it is for men.

Kimberly said...

Krislynne!

I'm so sorry! It was so very lovely...thank heaven's you took the photo.

I know how lovingly you collected them. There is no sin in a sense of loss (kept in proper perspective, of course!) Our Father in Heaven gives us so many good gifts...as a parent, He understands when our "little toys" get broken and our distress over the "breaks". Like any parent, He reminds us "they're just toys" and still loves us as we lament them.

Just think of how much fun we will have collecting some more cups! Want to go to the thrift store?!!

KRISLYNNE LYONS said...

Suzanne,

It is hard to say, if men are more detached to "things" than we are. For instance, if anything happened to my husbands books he would be just as devastated, if not more. I think it all depends on what the "thing" is.

Kimberly,

You are so cute, and yes, I do want to go to the thrift store. Some of my most beauthiful tea cups and saucers were bought from thrift stores.

Krislynne

Nonni said...

Good point, Krislynne! My husband too would be devastated by the loss of some of his favorites!

Kimberly, I love the perspective you add to my vision of God. It's so needed. :)