Saturday, December 22, 2007

Baking with Oma


This is my Oma (German for Grandma). Oma makes the best Christmas cookies ever. They are a work of art and they taste delicious. Every year on Christmas Eve the family will go to Oma and Opa's for our traditional Gehachtus dinner, that's steak tartar. Those of us who do not like Gehachtus, eat ham instead. Then we all gather around the Christmas tree and open presents. Later, Oma would bring out her famous cookies for everyone to snack on. To be honest, as a child I wasn't to fond of the cookies. They looked nice and all, but they were too dry and not enough sweet. But now, I think they are better than any traditional American Christmas cookie.
I wanted to keep the tradition going by learning how to make these delectable treats, so Erin and I went to Oma's to learn how. Here are some more pictures...







This is Opa.
Oma would talk about how good it was that someone took interest in learning these recipes to keep the tradition going. She was so happy to have us over that she wanted to continue to get together and bake every year. Iwould love to Oma. There is so much I want to learn from you.

No comments: