Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day


It is Father's Day evening at 11:35pm. What a busy day. I really wanted to post this excerpt earlier today, written by St. Thomas More to his children Margaret, Elizabeth, Cecily, and John. Since it's before midnight, it still counts!

"It is not so strange that I love you with my whole heart, for being a father is not a tie which can be ignored. Nature in her wisdom has attached the parent to the child and bound their minds together with a Herculean knot. Thence comes that tenderness of a loving heart that accustoms me to take you so often in my arms. That is why I regularly fed you cake and gave you ripe apples and fancy pears. That is why I used to dress you in silken garments and why I never could endure to hear you cry...Ah, brutal and unworthy to be called father is he who does not himself weep at the tears of his child...But now my love has grown so much that it seems to me I did not love you at all before."

Oh, how beautiful is a father's love! How beautiful is Our Heavenly Father's love. I sincerely hope you had a joyous Father's Day!

No comments: